[Greenbuilding] Algae Greenwashing

sanjay jain sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 07:44:47 CST 2011

> the exciting topic of using algae for bio-sequestration of coal-fired
> power station emissions.

Having been once excited about algae, I have to say it's nothing but greenwashing.

Fact: Algae need sunlight to use CO2 to grow.

You would need vast areas to "sequestrate" the CO2 from a power plant. Even if it could be done, you have account for the opportunity cost of the solar energy that could have been captured from that area. I'd bet that putting solar cells or simply growing food on that area would be more energy efficient.

~sanjay