[Greenbuilding] Distibution and radiant heat and Morse stove solution

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Wed Jan 5 12:16:48 CST 2011

On 1/4/2011 10:32 PM, Tedd Weyman wrote:
> I have to chime in. This Australian marketing gimmick by Morse stoves,
> claims of heating large areas including cathedral ceiling houses with
> "radiant" heat from a single point (no matter what the fuel) is just
> that: a gimmick. Its plain and simple false advertising and taking
> advantage of hopeful and uneducated consumers.

I have an existence proof which says otherwise.  My house is heated
solely by a single, point source, radiant heat source.

> Large spaces, multiple rooms and high air volume spaces are heated by
> convection or other more systematic heat distribution systems . If you
> have a single point radiant source hot enough to warm you 10 feet from
> the source, you burn up 3 feet from the source. No distribution system
> means spot heating and wasted energy. Old fashioned oil burning stoves
> with air or hot water distribution systems are a lot greener and more
> efficient than a single point super stove hot super big wood stove.

I admit that there is a cozy spot near the stove, very nice for warming
up after coming in from the cold.  The rest of the house from the floor
to the peak of the roof (25-ish feet above) are usually within 5
degrees.  No place in the house is uncomfortable except within
1 foot of the wood stove.  I often stand just outside that distance, and
enjoy it immensely.

The only heat distribution systems I use are 2 100% efficient eco-fans,
which frankly I am not convince do much.

All heating energy is in some sense 'wasted', so my objective is to
reduce that as much as possible.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--