[Greenbuilding] R20 window insulation?

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Thu Jan 6 19:29:26 CST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: nick pine
>What's your R20 window insulation?

Four pieces of 3/4 inch Rmaxx, gorilla taped together, wrapped in aluminum
foil, and then covered (for aesthetics) in either green felt or canvas slip
covers.  They range in size depending on the windows, and including several
large 4 x 8 panels that we use over the windows of the sunspace at night
during the winter and during the day in the summer.

>... we came up with the present plan (which included replacing the south
>wall of our utility room with glass to add some
> passive solar) and implemented it.

>Have you considered turning this 24/7 heat-losing passive solar glass into
>an air heater with little heat loss at night >and on cloudy days?

I have been reading this forum for some time and your frequent contributions
on the subject, but the math generally escapes me and it hasn't been clear
exactly what you would advocate in this situation.  It is a space about 20'
long, and 6' wide, with doors at either end (no east or west windows).  The
windows are stock double paned patio doors, plus two double hung windows for
summer ventilation.  I am always interested in anything that will help us
stay warm in the winter for less effort.

Bob Waldrop, OKC

Nick