[Greenbuilding] one more pleasure (or not) of heating with wood

Lawrence Lile LLile at projsolco.com
Fri Jan 7 11:42:52 CST 2011

Lynelle,

Greetings from Missouri, where we are treated to a month of clouds in a typical November.  Solar pre-heat can be one of the most cost-effective solar installations if done right, even here.

Good solar panels can boil water!  I've seen this happen, it is real.  They can definitely produce higher temperature water than you need under the right conditions.

There are two ways to get rid of excess heat in the summer, if you don't have the luxury of a hot tub:

1.  Don't make excess heat.  Use a drainback (or is it draindown?  I can never keep these two terms straight) system that leaves the collectors dry when heat is not required. The water drains into a tank when not needed.   This uses a more complex controller, but eliminates need for antifreeze in your collectors, even in Ontario.  This is really a very straightforward solution.  If I built another solar water heater this is what I would do.

2. Have a heat-dump circuit.  In a glycol (antifreeze) collector, the controls can be really simple - a little pump run by a solar cell.  Size the system so that in the summer it matches your typical usage, and it won't overheat under normal conditions.  But if it does overheat, then you will need a solenoid valve and a little control that dumps domestic hot water on the hot side of your solar tank straight down the drain.  If your system is sized correctly, this will almost never be used, so it is not a big waste. Dumping 10 gallons will cool off your solar storage tank a lot, and the heat was free anyway. I've wasted more than ten gallons trying to wash my dog.

3. Throw a tarp over the collectors when you are going on vacation, as I did before I installed the heat dump.  There is no good reason to do this except for desperation born of poor planning.

There are arguments pro and con for each system.

You always need a tempering valve after a solar water preheater to eliminate any risk of sending scalding water to someone in a shower.

If you can generate all of your hot water in the summer, and then 30% or 50% in the winter, you probably have a system that has the optimum payback.

--Lawrence Lile, PE, LEED AP, CEM