[Greenbuilding] solar hot water

Doug Kalmer dougkalmer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:16:48 CST 2011

It's drainback, draindown systems have largely been abandoned because the valves that were supposed to allow household water to drain out of the panels typically failed, and the panels plumbing froze and broke. I agree completely that solar water heating is cost effective, especially DIY. My PV pumped closed loop glycol system has been producing most of our hot water for 20 years now, built from an early 80's collector, locally built heat exchanger tank, and a Zomeworks matched PV panel and pump. http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/DougsSolarWater.htm Since I sized panel to tank to usage well, no heat dump is needed. An easy way to dump excess heat, assuming the typical situation where the storage tank is below the collector, is to use a "vacation bypass valve". Closed loop systems in the configuration I described above have a check valve to prevent nightime thermosyphoning, losing tank heat to the night sky. Just plumb in a full flow valve around the check valve, and the need for solenoids and running heated water down a drain is eliminated. Doug

www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SolarHomes/Doug/DougsProjects.htm

http://www.youtube.com/user/sundug69