[Greenbuilding] distribution of radiant heat

Chris Koehn chris at koehn.com
Sat Jan 8 11:03:54 CST 2011

Hey Corwyn, If you'd like more info before jumping to conclusions just ask:

The "open fireplace" is not open: it's an enclosed, sealed combustion unit with outside combustion air and heat circulation. Not my preference, but again, I'm not the architect.
The clients have in place a 12 KW propane generator. We won't be powering the home exclusively with solar;  solar will be used to top up the batteries when the genset isn't running.
I am building a case to revamp the design to abandon the fireplace (on a gable wall- largely aesthetic) in favour of a centrally located masonry heater.
Propane has to be barged over, so it's usual cost and efficiencies are not applicable here.
There is currently no heat source called out for the bathroom, so your assumption that we're starting with 65 degree air is invalid.
We are working with 4500 HDD but heating typically starts in late September and ends in early June. It's oceanfront, so there's a really big 45 degree mass out there.
It may prove to be more efficient and practical to provide a separate propane heat source for the bathroom area but the clients have asked me to look for alternatives and so I am.

One despairs at your despair.

Regards,

Chris
TimberGuides

Corwyn wrote: "A FIREPLACE?  Seriously, a open fireplace?  And you are worried about
moving a little bit of stratified heat?  With an elaborate, PV powered,
high embodied energy device...
One despairs.."