[Greenbuilding] distribution of radiant heat

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 8 18:34:50 CST 2011

I'm a little confused. I had no problem with the term fireplace as here they
are typically sealed units and the term is used to differentiate from
freestanding wood 'stoves'. I have not seen an 'open fireplace' built (that
is the term that used to be used here) for over 20 years (and it was a
rumford).

What I am confused about are what the calculations are in reference to? (I
don't really understand them) and what the point is of making a comparison
to propane? I get the point about embodied energy and financial cost but the
question here is about distributing heat from a central source.

I think using a fan or some design to distribute heat from a stratified
ceiling area is not unreasonable as a long term provision. The comment that
heat will migrate eventually in a well insulated building is not really
reasonable based on the comments we have had here and most experience.

The stratified air in a cathedral ceiling can easily be 10deg higher
(especially over the heat source). All it is doing is warming the ceiling
mass and migrating out regardless of how well insulated so it is not
unreasonable to look at ways of improving air flow and distributing that
heat a little more effectively warming a few more surfaces.

The fantech 125(cfm) inline is rated at 18watts (.18 max amp) - 125 cfm will
throw a lot of warmed air into a small bathroom space quite quickly. It
takes .018btu to warm 1 cu.ft. of air 1degF. So if the stratified air temp
is 78deg (which is think is more realistic over a fireplace) then 1 cuft. of
air is holding about 1.4btu. the fan moving 120cfm can theoretically move
about 10000btu/h with an energy consumption of roughly 60btu/h. The room
probably only needs about 1500btu so an actual fan requirement can be worked
out from that.

Not unreasonable to throw that wattage or solar draw into a design. Venting
that ceiling area is also not a bad idea for its own sake.

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca