[Greenbuilding] Aggressively Passive: Building Homes to the Passive House Standard

Gennaro Brooks-Church info at ecobrooklyn.com
Sun Jan 9 15:40:35 CST 2011

I took the PH course this summer and did find it very useful. I am not
interested in the many details it provides and would rather pay
somebody else to do that stuff so I hired a PH Consultant on my
current PH project instead of taking the test and becoming a
consultant myself.
I think the loyalty people have towards PH is partly due to the effort
it takes to learn the system. It almost seems the harder a system is
to learn the more loyal people are. And PH is very technical in that
way. It isn't hard you just need to have a technical mind and enjoy
fiddling with numbers.
The strength and weakness of PH is that it is very rigid. It is
stereotypically German. This means they stick to their standards no
matter what, a good thing in many ways. It also means they have been
really slow to adjust it to the US. For a while they refused to switch
the program from metric to imperial units, which is just asinine.
The success of PH is that it systemizes and universalizes in a very
effective way what many advanced house builders have been doing for
years. Like John says we all have our own excel spread sheets but PH
has taken that and made the language universal.
When I took the course I kept saying, "but that is how I build
anyway." I just call it good building. You don't need a computer to
know where thermal bridges are and if you build for long enough in a
certain area you know how thick the insulation should be.
So in that sense PH is nothing new. Most high efficiency builders
build very close to PH standards. But PH is great because it allows
non-green builders to have a guide. I know what good building is in
New York because I build here. But now with PH a builder from Mexico
can come here and build a home just as efficient as mine by using the
calculations of PH software.

Gennaro Brooks-Church

Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
www.EcoBrooklyn.com