[Greenbuilding] new stove

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Mon Jan 10 21:01:28 CST 2011

On Jan 10, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:

All, re the recent conversations about heating with wood, I ran across
this interesting good looking new stove:

http://3rings.designerpages.com/2011/01/05/bullerjan-canadian-lumberjack-designed-stove/

This stove is basically a newer version of an older idea from the
sixties and seventies, called a "Free Flow" .  The tubes were intended
to extract and distribute a large amount of heat from the firebox.
Nearly all of the ones that I knew of have self destructed rather
quickly, as the inner surface of each tube would get very hot, and
expand, around the much cooler outer surfaces. The welds between each
tube would be torn apart by disproportionate expanding and non-expanding
metal.  Any of the Free Flows used in this cold Ontario climate were
compromised, in less than a decade of service.

Also, as Corwyn has pointed out, the stove did infact extract a lot of
heat, which caused the fire to cool too quickly, and as a result, the
second half of the burn, of each loading of the stove, went down hill
fast, and caused a lot of incomplete combustion, and subsequent creasote
build up in the chimney.

It is, though, at first glance, a very sexy looking device.  Makes you
really want to think it will succeed.

--
Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design