[Greenbuilding] Sprouting Floor?

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Wed Jan 12 14:31:27 CST 2011

Likely the grass has sprouted due to it's favoured conditions, i.e.,
warm temperature, just the right amount of moisture, moistened on a
water-moon sign perhaps(?).

I have seen wheat straw bales sprout, while built into the wall, in two
different builds. In both cases, when probed with a moisture meter, the
bales were in the 20 to 25 percent range.  Likely in both cases, it was
individual, isolated incidents of a few overly damp bales being used.
In both cases, the bales turned green, as their few escaped grain
kernels germinated, and they died just as quickly, as the bales dried
out.  The walls are often up for fairly long periods of time, before
being plastered, while bale prep and wiring and plaster stops are being
prepared.  These same bales were down to 16 percent, just before being
covered with render.

As Lance suggested, the new wheat sprouts germinate with a bit of
moisture, begin to grow, using up available moisture, and that's all
there is to it.

Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design
www.livingsol.com
613 756 3884

Any more details?  Would love to know if they figured out why the grass
sprouted.  Has this happened to anyone else?

~Frank Cetera
www.alchemicalnursery.org <http://www.alchemicalnursery.org>

Message: 6