[Greenbuilding] Sprouting Floor?

natural building naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 13 14:50:54 CST 2011

I agree with Lance that adding salt to clay could be a a very bad
idea. Clay attains its strength (and thus hardness) through an ionic
bond. If you introduce anything that interferes with that ionic bond
- such as salt - you will very likely weaken the clay.

However, materials such as cow manure have been used for centuries to
increase the strength and durability of clay plasters. This is
documented in Gernot Minke's book (Building with Earth) where, in a
waterjet test, the addition of a mere 3.5% cow manure increase the
earthen plaster's resistance to erosion from 4 minutes to 4 hours!

Regards,
Steve Satow

www.naturalbuildingsite.net
naturalbuilding at shaw.ca