[Greenbuilding] Fwd: [healthyhomebuilding] Action Needed for 2011 Solar Decathlon

jfstraube jfstraube at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 06:26:49 CST 2011

They already require minimalist foundations.  I worked on the last Decathalon submission from U waterloo, and the foundations are just square pads resting on the ground.  However, the challenge is building 20 houses on the mall, servicing them, and then have over 100 000 people visit them in a couple weeks is just tough on the land.

On 2011-01-20, at 12:05 PM, Dombroski, Marian K. wrote:

> Perhaps part of the design requirements could be to reduce the footprint – literally -  of the solar houses.  They could commission foundations that create minimal disturbance to the Mall - also design pedestrian accommodations with minimal impact.

John Straube
www.BuildingScience.com