[Greenbuilding] Heating on a half cord of wood per year.

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 15:50:20 CST 2011

Very cool thought experiment, Corwyn.
I'm hoping to go down this road myself, though will be adding the Larsen
trusses after the fact since I'm starting with a 115 yr old house. We're on
track to use <1.5 cords of wood this year, down from 3 cords before any
insulation, but we're at only roughly half of your HDD, about 4,200 on
average. Presently our house has a solid R13 in the walls, R30 in the floor,
and two equivalently rated batts laid perpendicular to each other in the
ceiling. Getting the eaves properly insulated remains elusive at this stage.
Also we have single pane original 1894 78" tall windows with aluminum storm
windows, a package that I look forward to improving.
Interestingly our demand for warmth has climbed in parallel with the
multi-year insulation project. We now achieve a much higher indoor average
temperature than we once thought possible or even desirable.

I'm curious if you could say more about how you've modeled step #2 below.