[Greenbuilding] Charring wood (was Nansulate Insulation)

natural building naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 23 11:29:57 CST 2011

Charring wood to preserve it - or other materials that come into
contact with it - is a very old tradition. It can be seen -
accidentally - in old timber framed buildings which survive fires
because the beams and posts form a protective layer of carbon which
retards incineration during a fire. A definite advantage of larger
timbers over current 2x systems.

It was also used by coach-builders when working with Oak and other
caustic woods. Surfaces that would come into contact with ferrous
metals were deliberated scorched in order to create an inert layer and
protect iron from the corrosive effects of tannic acid in the wood.

Regards,
Steve Satow

www.naturalbuildingsite.net
naturalbuilding at shaw.ca