[Greenbuilding] Solutions (to the ecological problem)

Gennaro Brooks-Church info at ecobrooklyn.com
Sun Jan 23 16:12:44 CST 2011

I don't invite my friends over to paint my house. I only offer that as an
example of an alternative to our current system. I do think we need to tie
green building and culture more closely. Currently the definition of green
builder is very broadly somebody who builds houses out of ecological and
efficient materials. The social implications of that building, sourcing, and
maintenance are secondary if considered at all.

That definition is valid and important but as somebody who wants to make
a substantial impact on improving the environment and our life I don't think
that definition will provide the greatest impact.

I venture to say that the definition of a green builder should be more life
centered and less object centered. A good example of this is the way Native
Americans built, which was more about their religion than about the
materials they used - their home aligning with the four corners of the earth
etc.

A life centered green builder is primarily concerned with the social and
ethical implications of their building. Efficiency and product choices
certainly play a huge part but that follows their primary concern of
building community and emotional connection with nature through the
structure, how it is built, sourced and maintained.

Looking at building from this humanistic perspective first and foremost in
my opinion has more impact on achieving our goals of a healthier planet.
Certainly there is a time in the process to get lost in the numbers and BTUs
but that is a small part of the larger vision.

Exploring our connection to past building techniques, cultures, and
materials keeps us connected to the ongoing process of living. Our couple
hundred years of scientific building is a drop in the bucket considering we
have been building for thousands of years. To loose that perspective of us
being in a time continuum guarantees our isolation from the world, a wold
that is deeply connected to cycles.

Gennaro Brooks-Church

Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
www.EcoBrooklyn.com