[Greenbuilding] Steam Shower?

Stewart Abbey sabbey at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 23 17:02:40 CST 2011

I'm a bit late on this one but here is my experience.
The plumber hooked up our steam shower to be fed by cold water.
Obviously the energy is the same to heat the water to steam with
electricity from the hot water tank or with electricity from the steam
generator.  The difference in my case was the steam cycled off about 15
seconds per minute while it heated the water from the cold water line.
I have since fed the steam generator with water from the hot water line
and it only cycles
off about 2 or 3 seconds per minute, a dramatic improvement in warm up time.
As I will never use the steam shower in non spaceheating seasons,
virtually all the energy used is returned to the house as heat.  It
makes good double use of the shower space compared to a sauna which
would have required a dedicated space.
Our generator is a Mr. Steam 8kw I think.

Thank-you for all the great advice on this list.
Stewart Abbey