[Greenbuilding] Nansulate Insulation and our solution to theecological problem

Johannes Martinez johannes.martinez at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:02:24 CST 2011

I quite agree with this.  It is one of the reasons that instead of
building in the rocky mountains of BC, i decided to look for land in
Mexico.  More specifically in Chiapas because

a) large amounts of ejidos where natives work the land in small
communities
b) Communally build buildings and houses (though some houses the groom
builds by himself when he's ready to take a wife)
c) already quasi-sustainable (problems with well-rounded diets and
education/distribution of knowledge
d) It's the political reason my grandfather was assasinated.

I believe that if we're to make any difference it has to come from the
bottom up.  Once each individual is over-producing, whether it be in
food or energy, people will have more time for the things that are
important in life.  This movement can't start within the west per say
because people who are used to not working a day in their life
(physically that is) won't want to suddenly switch to at least a half
physical lifestyle.  It can't really start in the 3rd world because
dissemination of information and comprehension of that information is a
real problem.  I remember being in nepal and nobody understood the
concept of a vacuum as used in their thermoses and solar hot water
heaters.  Consequently they kept trying to use them after the vacuum was
broken and were puzzled by the fact that they weren't functioning
anymore and ascribing all sorts of supernatural explanations for it.

Chiapas is sort of in between, it has a network of resources around it,
but also houses a large population of people thirsty for knowledge of a
different way of living and willing to do the work to achieve it.
Almost anywhere in the state is close enough to one of the big cities
that even the city dwellers will be able to see the benefits.

You also have to remember, most of the houses in mexico are already made
of mud or stone, or have dirt floors.  The average mexican would find
your average eco-home a luxury.  They're already using a lot of natural
materials it's just a matter of re-arranging them.