[Greenbuilding] first certified Passive House in Canada

Ross Elliott relliott at homesol.ca
Tue Jan 25 18:12:23 CST 2011

Doh! I KNEW I was missing a mandatory! So there's four, not three.

John, maybe I've been brainwashed by the Germans, but I kinda like that 0.6
ACH50. According to the good Dr. Feist at that level of air tightness you
won't get any hidden condensation problems (don't ask me why, I just believe
everything I hear). My own place meets R-2000's 1.5 ACH50, yet in the last
cold snap I discovered several frost balls on the outside of the foamboard
(which would soon be hidden behind siding) where I've got some small air
leaks. We've got a tract builder here in Ottawa who has built hundreds of
homes in a row below 1.5 ACH50, so I don't think it's unreasonable to shoot
for better on a custom green home.

The "sophisticated computer program" we've been using for R-2000 since 1983
actually doesn't work that well for high performance houses beyond the
current R-2000 / ERS 80, there's going to be real problems getting them to
NRCan's magical ERS 86 or 87 in the next version of R-2000 without using
heat pumps everywhere. HOT2K just isn't that good at modeling great
envelopes right now. It's also a "black box" where we just have to accept
the results are accurately calculated, whereas the PHPP Excel spreadsheet
allows you to see what's going on - not that it does a guy like me any good
to know the formulas, but at least it's there for smarter people than me to
quibble over.

The Net Zero homes use exorbitantly expensive renewable energy systems to
push them to zero, whereas in my humble opinion if they're not up around
Passive House for their building envelope before they go for renewable then
they're just buying energy to waste, at a lot higher cost than from the grid
or pipeline. Talk about a science experiment. And if your total annual
energy bill is under $1000 because you built a true energy efficient home,
then putting $25,000 worth of PV on the roof seems like just a political
statement, since those PV panels will be obsolete long before they pay for
themselves (notwithstanding taxpayers covering the cost through incentive
programs). But I really do appreciate your insights into where the tradeoffs
should be in terms of cost, energy savings and carbon emissions, it's a
conversation well worth continuing. Passive House may not be the answer to
everything, but I think it's better than any of the alternatives currently
available.

But John, I really do have to agree with you about one thing. Mike Holmes is
definitely not someone you want promoting anything to professional builders
or renovators!

Ross