[Greenbuilding] first certified Passive House in Canada

Ross Elliott relliott at homesol.ca
Tue Jan 25 18:55:38 CST 2011

Final air test was 0.57 ACH50.

Custom house prices depend on what you call "custom", I know people in the
country who can build you a custom shack for way less. Anyone have an idea
what tract homes go for on a SF basis? (the worst possible way to price a
house, I might add - people buy a small crappy house, then move up into a
bigger crappy house when their income goes up, rather than a better quality
small house).

Ground source heat pump was one of those things that could be termed
"inappropriate technology", sort of overkill for such an efficient house,
but seemed like a good idea back in the beginning (sure boosted that HOT2K
EnerGuide rating, even though it's somewhat about the same efficiency
burning coal in a power plant and sending it to a heat pump as just burning
the coal in the house for heat instead). No problems with building
inspectors to put XTPS under footings here in Ottawa, I think Chris used the
Celfort 600 but I've seen 400 used with no problems.

Ross Elliott