[Greenbuilding] first certified Passive House in Canada

Ross Elliott homesol at bell.net
Tue Jan 25 22:12:44 CST 2011

All excellent points, John.

Concerning difficulty in air sealing to this level, I saw some great
examples of using the structural sheathing layer as the air barrier when I
was at the PH conference in Portland, OR this year, sure seems to be a
better way than poly and tape and acoustic sealant for getting 3X tighter
than R-2000. Freaks out some building officials though.

I should clarify my issues with HOT2K to say the problem is really the
EnerGuide Rating System, which is something NRCan is well aware of and in
the process of changing. You might find that despite your best efforts it's
pretty hard to get to an 88, but if you manage that extraordinary feat I bet
you'll never get to an 89 without a heat pump (and what do these rating
numbers really mean?). HOT2K is actually a pretty good modeling tool,
particularly in General mode when you can over-ride the program-specific
defaults and assumptions.

Thanks for the great debate, I think we can both agree whatever gets more
really efficient homes on the ground is a good thing.

Ross Elliott