[Greenbuilding] PassivHaus and NZE comparison

Gordon Howell -- Howell Mayhew Engineering ghowell at hme.ca
Wed Jan 26 11:22:49 CST 2011

Hello Ross and John:

May I recommend that comments on solar PV on NZE homes be made in the
company of facts and knowledge.

The first NZE home in Edmonton cost $110k more than standard
construction, see <www.riverdalenetzero.ca>.  If we built it as
standard construction, it would have cost $250k for the solar PV
system (in 2008) and have been 205 m2 in area.  No-one in their right
mind would do something like this ... instead we added energy
efficiency measures (envelope and appliances) until the incremental
capacity cost ($/kWh/year) of energy efficiency was roughly equal to
the incremental capacity cost of PV at the time.  Then because energy
efficiency is so vastly cheaper than PV (even now) then the
incremental cost of the house was reduced to about $25k for energy
efficiency and $35k for solar thermal, and $50k for solar PV.

The next two NZE homes, Mill Creek <www.greenedmonton.ca> and
Belgravia, are in around the $70k incremental cost... why?  Same
energy efficiency measures, more passive solar (south windows), very
simple solar thermal (on Mill Creek) and zero solar thermal (on
Belgravia) and price of PV continues to plummet.  Add to this that
the Alberta government provides a $10k incentive for EGH 86 houses
and the incremental cost to the homeowner is around $60k.

So I wish PH people would get off the pot on their comments about
"The Net Zero homes use exorbitantly expensive renewable energy
systems to push them to zero"... we only put on solar PV when the
ultra energy efficiency measures are in place... and these measures
roughly equal the PH standard.

NZE homes aren't political statements or science experiments... they
are homes that people are desiring to purchase... you wouldn't go
around and say that granite counter tops or BMWs are political
statements and yet PV has superior economics than these
products...  dismissively referencing these houses as "science
experiments" is not appropriate.

Solar PV modules (which are not called "panels") have warranties of
25 to 30 years (and they are working on 40-year warranties) and
degradation rates of about 1/2% per year... so 100 years from now
they will be 1/2 as good as they are now... (with today's
technology).  "obsolete" merely means "not manufactured anymore"...
so big deal.  Most items you own are obsolete:  clothes you wear, TV
you own, stove, fridge, house, carpets, toaster, computer,
software...  cars become obsolete (not made any more) at a max of 1
year after you've bought them... yet we don't hear perjorative
dismissive comments about cars do we?... so what's with the
dismissive comments about PV being "obsolete"?

I don't want subsidies for solar PV... I just want all energy sources
to pay for their true cost of energy production and energy generation
-- and then renewable energy economics will take care of themselves
thank you very much.  My estimates are that solar PV will be the
least-cost electricity option for homeowners in Alberta within 2 to 4
years (and if I'm wrong then it is 6 years) -- all without subsidies
to solar PV.  see also
<http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/pdfs/dpw_lushetsky.pdf>

PassivHaus is merely an organisational structure and training
programme that shows people where and how to become ultra-energy
efficient (which is great)...  ultra energy efficiency has been
around since 1978 (with the Saskatchewan Conservation House in
Regina)...  we've just not previously been interested in it because
we didn't care about the environment.  Anyone can become ultra energy
efficient if they know what to do... PH is great, and so is NZE and
R2k and others.

Edmonton now has some 12 NZE houses under development by various
builders (shown below)... We look forward to anyone's comments on
them.  You see some of my presentations on NZE homes at
<www.hme.ca/presentations> to see what we've learned with the first
three.  My gut feel is that NZE-ready homes are the least-cost energy
option for homeowners in Alberta right now... I am working on the
economics analysis to vet this.  NZE-ready is ultra energy efficient
plus solar PV ready.  So why doesn't the PassiveHaus standard
incorporate PV-ready too?  It should be a no-brainer.  Talk about
"obsolete" houses?  How about PH in 5 years without being PV
ready...!  Imagine: being in a PH house where you can't put on a $20k
solar PV system to generate all your electrical energy (which isn't
"power") because the designers were feeling threatened by PV when it
was designed and so didn't accomodate it... ("threats" have to do
with our ego-states and not with technologies or costs)

Edmonton's NetZero Energy Houses
======================
Riverdale NetZero Energy Project (duplex), Habitat Studio and
Workshop ... completed and occupied by the homeowners
<www.riverdalenetzero.ca> <www.riverdalenetzero.ca/equilibrium>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_energy_building>

Mill Creek NetZero Energy Home, Habitat Studio and Workshop .....
completed and occupied by the homeowners
<www.greenedmonton.ca/MillCreekNetZeroHome>

Belgravia NetZero Energy Home, Habitat Studio and Workshop ...under
construction

Parkland NetZero Energy Home, Habitat Studio and Workshop ...under construction

Larch NetZero Energy Home, Habitat Studio and Workshop ...under development

Belgravia Green NetZero Energy Houses (3 separate houses), Effect
Homes, ...under construction

Ritchie Net Zero Ready house ...under construction

Sherwood Hills NetZero Energy Home ...under development

Shafraaz Kaba NetZero Energy Home ...under construction

Mike Turner NetZero Energy Home ...under construction
======================

Mike Holmes: very interesting comments.  You might be interested in
one of his latest projects
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Verde-in-Clearview-Ridge/174181109278587?ref=ts>
.

I welcome any comments and challenges to what I've written.

+Gordon Howell

Gordon Howell, P.Eng.
Grid-Connected Solar-Electric Systems
Howell-Mayhew Engineering, Inc.