[Greenbuilding] Depletion Economy

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Wed Jan 26 15:13:26 CST 2011

Reuben Deumling writes:
The truth of the matter is we would be wise to figure out how to stop all burning of fossil fuels as soon as possible and probably a lot sooner than that. Why this needs restating is a source of continuing frustration. Doing this, figuring out how to make it happen--politically, technically, economically, ethically, emotionally--is a big challenge, but judging from the tenor of this article what we really need to do is figure out how to calculate more significant figures of the coal vs natural gas difference in climate impacts.

My comment:

I appreciate this list because I find people who have a similar view.  I have begun to use depletion as my buzz word to characterize what is happening.  The complacency of depending on and rapidly depleting finite nonrenewable resources is quite alarming.  A sustainable economy is able to renew itself without depleting.  All waste is recovered (zero waste).  Anything less is a depletion economy.  In transition, we reduce our depletion to give our community more time to ultimately learn how to not deplete.

Eli