[Greenbuilding] PassivHaus and NZE comparison - H2k & windows

stephen at thermotechfiberglass.com stephen at thermotechfiberglass.com
Thu Jan 27 15:55:18 CST 2011

 Ross;

 I'm no H2k wiz, so i had Bruce Gough do some H2k modelling using H2k's
 "detailed window mode" when we were doing some internal comparisons to
 PH windows.

 Like the PHPP this mode takes frame, edge and glass characteristics and
 calculates both U and SHGC for each and every window based on their
 respective size.  I would say that H2K is perhaps better than PHPP with
 regard to this aspect because it asks for North American Uglass
 (calculated at a more severe indoor outdoor temperature difference) --
 although i suppose you could cross cultures and put North American data
 into PHPP.....
 In any event, as you and others likely know, most simulation software
 assumes all windows perform like standard sized windows. This is a poor
 assumption for smaller windows that have relatively conductive edges
 and/or frames.

 I'll be no help in directing you to the "detailed window mode" part of
 the H2k program, but Bruce and others should be able to help if you'd
 like to pursue it.....

 Hope that helps
 Stephen

 On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:49:49 -0500, Ross Elliott <homesol at bell.net>
 wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> As my previous post stated, most of the problem is in the EnerGuide
> rating
> system, although the software itself has some issues ......

  Window modeling, compared to PHPP, is dismal, and I don't know if