[Greenbuilding] first certified Passive House in Canada

jfstraube jfstraube at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 21:01:13 CST 2011

Hi John
Your answer appears to be a riddle wrapped in an engina.  So the 0.6 is based on the use other arbitrarily chosen and unexplained measures, like I must heat the house with ventilation air, or I must reach 10 W/m2?
But even then it is odd because you say "because at this point after optimising the fabric heat losses". What does optimising heat losses mean?
The peak heat loss, Q, of any house due to conduction and air leakage is:
Q = (U A + c L + c (1- e) V) (Tin - Tout)
Where U A is the U-value (1 / R-value) of the shell times the area of the shell (we normally calculate each component and add them all up)
c is the volumetric heat capacity of the air (In metric units thanks to the French for inventing SI this is 1.20 kJ/m3/°C)
L is the air leakage rate (m3/s in metric )
V is the ventilation rate (m3/sec in metric)
e is the efficiency of heat recovery (in decimals, eg 0.70)

This is basic and well agreed physics. As you can see it does not depend on some point of optimisation as claimed: for a given climate (Tout) and a given area of building enclosure A, I can vary U and L amd e at will to get to the same heat loss Q.
So it is not true that there is a heat loss physics reason for the 0.6 ACH at 50 number.
PH has simply fixed L at 0.6 at 50 PA.  L can be estimated to be about ACH at 50/20 in service or 0.03 ACH.  There are detailed models that will get the answer more carefully, but this is pretty close.
Hence, now Q can only be reduced by reducing U not by trading off between L and U. Why this is done is the root of my question. Building physics shows that it cannot be to avoid condensation.  I could decrease U (add more insulation) and reduce Q, but PH wont let me.

Another question is, why is it necessary to heat with the ventilation system? This is not a requirement of PH, and many certified PH use heat pumps, pellet stoves, electric heaters etc.
The 10 W/m2 does not work either.
ASHRAE 62.2-2007 is the north american ventilation standard.  It recognizes that both people and houses produce pollutants and hence recommends minimum ventilation of 7.5 cfm/person + 0.01 cfm per square foot of house area.  This is 50 cfm for a 3 bedroom 2000 sq ft (186 m2) house. PHPP 2007 states that the “average air change rate should not fall below 0.3 ACH.” This ACH based ventilation is no longer used in North America because research showed it was inadequate: it is the people and the building that need ventilation, not the volume. For a 3-bedroom 2000 square foot single family home, this results in a PH ventilation rate of 80 cfm versus 50 cfm (25 l/s) for ASHRAE 62.2- 2007.
So if I properly ventilate at 25 l/s, and limit heating to 50 C, then the heating power will be 0.025 m3/s * 1.20 kJ/m3/°C * (50C-20 C) = 900 Watts.  This is 4.8 W/m2 (for the 186 m2 house), not 10 W/m2.  Of course PH uses different ways of measuring area so maybe it is actually 6.5 W/m2.  In either case, it is only 10 if you over ventilate.  Why build a super tight house with an efficient HRV and then over ventilate?? This over ventilation is also one reason I think they want such high efficiency expensive HRVs.

But let us pretend that we want to ventilate at a higher rate and can deliver 10 W/m2.  First, what part of the environment is protected that is not included in the 120 kWh/m2/yr value? I dont even understand why this 10 W number is beneficial.
Second, refer back to the original equation.  As the outdoor temperature gets lower, Q will get larger in step.  If you are building in a climate with a design temperature of -30C, it is very difficult to imagine how to reduce the required peak heating power to 10 W/m2.  In Darmstadt, with Tout of may -15C you might be able to do it when you meet the overall 120 target. But they are not connected directly.

I know that the way some people in colder climates are meeting that number in some projects is to increase the outdoor temperature they design to (by saying "thermal mass will carry me through") although PHPP does not tell me how to account for thermal mass on an overnight level.  People are also including the heat from occupants, appliances and pets to meet the Q required, even though these people may not be there, and when they come home the house will take a long long time to get back up to 20C again. I also know numerous Europeans that are saying "10 is just a recommendation it is not required".

Must of this has been hashed out before elsewhere. Check out the two on line documents at buildingscience.com on PassivHaus.  BSI-025 and BSI-026

So, I am back to, "why 0.6ACH at 50".  And we can add, "and why 10 W/m2" or "why is heating with ventilation air desirable" or "where is the science that shows that 50 C is the limit for air heating".
More questions than answers I am afraid.