[Greenbuilding] Nansulate Insulation

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Fri Jan 28 22:13:45 CST 2011

Just a follow up on what I concluded from your input concerning Nansulate.
I had investigated aerogel when this product was brought to my attention by
a client.  It had a sheet product that claimed an R10/inch.  Some PH
projects that retrofitted old europeon stone buildings used it.  It's
premium value was where dimension was limited.  However, $/R was very high.

Genarro Brooks-Church used it however, was not pleased with the results.
John Salmen used a similar nano technology as an additive to paint to add to
durability and not a insulation.  He made a credible case for that
application.  However, the Nansulate gave bold claimes for performance as
insulation without giving an R value.  If it has an R value of 10/inch as
aerogel claimes and 3 coats over existing finishes that could retain their
visual identidy and therefore not require another finish material, likley
could achieve 1/8" over 3 or 4 coats.  This would only be an R1.2 or so.
That is not as good as insulated glass.

Steve included some good links about aerogel that are forwarded below.

I see there is a basis for the technology.  However, I am suspicious of the
performance they are claiming.  Also, there are some unknows regarding the
health affects that add to the risk.  I would love to hear of someone who
actually used it for insulation as the manufacturers are promoting and here
about the performance.  Although, I am not willing to go out on that limb.

Eli