[Greenbuilding] Nansulate Insulation

Reibstein, Rick (EEA) Rick.Reibstein at state.ma.us
Mon Jan 31 09:25:49 CST 2011

Here's some recent government "commentary" on nano, if of interest, articulating some principles for reducing risks over the life of the nanomaterial-containing product.  Regulations are more likely to be developed once general principles for what they ought to achieve have been widely accepted.  This guidance was well-received in many quarters, but progress is tenuous in this era where regulations are too often thought of as bad for the economy. See also EPA's TSCA reform, which has been focusing on nanomaterials, but which may not move as quickly as some might desire with this Congress.  The outlook of this document is that the absence of good management practices (which regulations would help ensure) is what really creates risks for the business itself, not just health and the environment.  http://www.mass.gov/Eoeea/docs/eea/ota/tech_reports/ota_nanotech_guidance.pdf

Rick Reibstein
MA Office of Technical Assistance
Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
9th floor, 100 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
617 626 1062