[Greenbuilding] renewing a cast iron tub

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Mon Jul 18 12:46:25 CDT 2011

In a current project of mine, there's a worn-looking but otherwise
good cast iron tub that perfectly fits the tight space of its NYC
bathroom. I'm wondering if there are any durable and environmentally
decent methods to renew/refinish the tub, either in situ or sending
it out. (We are replacing the tile, so removing the tub and sending
it out for refinishing is not out of the question.)

 From what I've researched so far:
1. The DIY finishes are terrible -- both environmentally and
esthetically, as well as durably.
2. There are at least two types of in situ refinishing services. One
is apparently far better than the other in terms of durability, but
both involve toxic fumes. The resulting finish, I've heard, may not
look like the original porcelain.
3. I've heard rumor of places you can send the tub to that give it a
new "dip coat" that's more similar to the original finish, but
haven't found who does it. Nor do I know anything about the toxicity
of that process.

Does anyone have any further info on this?  I hate to remove the tub
and then replace it with a new one that is similar in size but
doesn't fit as well or look as right.. And I've searched for vintage
replacements.

Thanks,

David

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291