[Greenbuilding] renewing a cast iron tub

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 18 16:28:31 CDT 2011

The least toxic and most pleasing process would be powder coating (if the
tub can be moved). The tub would be sandblasted then coated in a controlled
environment. What is nice is you can have the exterior done to the same
degree of finish (if it is exposed as well). It is actually not that
expensive to have items powder coated and probably the cleanest process.

You can do it in-situ but it takes some time. The porcelain is a glass
finish so has to be etched (muriatic is the easiest). A 2 part polyurethane
(as in a boat paint) would be the most durable and forgiving. It can work
well with a roll and tip application and you will be building up coats from
a 2 part primer onward. It can be finish wet sanded if there are
imperfections and polished to a very high gloss.  It is quite toxic to apply
but considered inert upon setting.

If you replace it you will be putting in a fibreglass/gel coat or acrylic
tub that represents far more 'finish' than what you would use in restoring
this tub so either approach would be good practice I think.

John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

station design & millwork

4465 UPHILL RD DUNCAN BC V9L6M7 250-748-7672 C 250-246-8541 F 250-748-7612