[Greenbuilding] renewing a cast iron tub

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 19 20:37:00 CDT 2011

Actually there is nothing wrong with an old pitted cast iron tub complete
with iron (or blood) stains - it holds water and if I have a bath I am going
to either try to read a book (without getting it wet) or stare out the
window. It is just not shiny and 'nice' looking.

To be honest I would prefer that aesthetic to a bunch of tiles added. The
old cast iron tub (unimproved) with some old cracked marble tiles, some
peeling plaster (or badly applied 'american clay'). Those roman mosaic tiles
might be a nice touch on a shower wall or by the mirror but don't glue them
in the tub. I think you can make a nice aesthetic out of old things. it is
what bathrooms look like after a generation goes through it - even better if
it has survived 5-7 generations.

Every finish is sacrificial. I've been on job sites where the 3k fibreglass
soaker tub was badly scratched during construction and voila the touch up
crew comes in with the gel coat touchup, some fine grit polish and buffer
and good as new.....probably get away with a few more similar polishes
before you are down to the fibreglass. It is the same deal with the
composite counter materials. They look pretty lame after 5-10 years but then
the washer dryer, dishwasher, stove, fridge has also packed it in. Basically
everything gets to looking as bad as the countries economies that were
ripped off to produce it as cheaply as it could be made...

We like things shiny. It wasn't that long ago that an acceptable wood floor
finish was sand spread over the floor and swept out.

Powder coating a tub - sure why not. You have a 1/2 day tub removal and
delivery - 500-1000 powdercoat - another 1/2 day getting it in place. You
have created some local labour with local business and recycled something
from the past and made it acceptable to the present...and it is shiny and
new looking...

Will it last? Will it be durable? - what are we comparing it to - a stock
portfolio?