[Greenbuilding] renewing a cast iron tub

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Tue Jul 19 21:06:24 CDT 2011

At 09:37 PM 7/19/2011, JOHN SALMEN wrote:
>Actually there is nothing wrong with an old pitted cast iron tub complete
>with iron (or blood) stains - it holds water and if I have a bath I am going
>to either try to read a book (without getting it wet) or stare out the
>window. It is just not shiny and 'nice' looking.

I agree in principle, but there are two additional factors at work
here. One is that once the rest of the bathroom is renovated, the
dulled or pitted old tub is going to stand out (and not in a good
way), and the second is that the finish of this tub has become very
hard to clean. Even if the clients weren't neatniks (which they are),
this would be a problem.

>Will it last? Will it be durable? - what are we comparing it to - a stock
>portfolio?

I hope not. Stock portfolios have done pretty badly, no?

More to the point, the conventional in-house recoating treatments --
in many or most cases -- often don't last long at all. Sometimes five
years or less. I would be looking for the refinishing to last as long
as the bathroom renovation is likely to last. (25 years?) Otherwise,
it makes more sense to install a new tub while the walls are open.

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291