[Greenbuilding] neat idea

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 21 18:47:30 CDT 2011

Pretty interesting thread you started here.  I'm not sure we all have a
concept of how basic shelter can get and what it takes to even make that
happen and make it secure and what you are making it secure against.

Only problem with the bottle thing is cutting the hole -  It takes tools to
cut holes, fasten things - tools have value. I was in a place yesterday (a
home of sorts) where everything that had ANY value was stripped out and long
gone (windows, wiring, everything including the tools and utensils used to
take everything out).

I was in a home once that used nail holes to let in light - was a nice
pattern and the light was beautiful to wake up to. Door hinges were pieces
of old tires.

I think in general people do the best they can with the time they have and
what they have but there is a point where a simple achievable concept like
the bottle in the roof can make a huge difference - imagine if that bottle
had more value that made it inaccessible.  I remember in reading Braudel on
European history that as part of the furnishing contents of the inventoried
(for tax purposes) contents of a french tenant farmers family home they had
a stool, a table and a cracked bowl.