[Greenbuilding] Geothermal a/c

Matt Dirksen dirksengreen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 21:08:58 CDT 2011

I heard from a mechanical engineer friend that the inverter tech in mini-split systems is making it's way into central systems now. Carrier should have it's new stuff out this fall. Lennox may even already have it out, for all I know. He says that it's efficiency should rival the current ground source heat pump systems, but without the need of well digging.

Cost has typically been the biggest issue for geo installations, so the inverter tech might be a good compromise. I know I am thinking a about it when I ditch my 30 year old gas furnace.

Of course only geo will qualify for the no-limit 30 percent tax credit....

Matt