[Greenbuilding] Green roof drainage question

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 23 13:59:24 CDT 2011

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 11:59:08 -0400, Marilyn <cybercrone at eol.ca> wrote:

>  green roof put on the addition to my home,

> ground level is only about 2 inches below the door sill where I go out
> there.

Dear Occidental Woman
-with-not-a-drop-of-Chinese-blood-in-her-entire-family-who-mistakenly-thought-she-was-a-cousin-of-mine;

I think that I'd look at creating a dam around the vicinity of the door
(say minimum of 1 metre wide by 1.5 metres out from the wall) that is aout
20 cm higher than the maximum snow accumulations that would be experienced
and enclose the "door well" with a light structure made of
diverted-from-the-wastestream patio doors. (There are bazillions of 20-30
year old tract homes and high-rise apts in the Greater Toronto Area which
had single-glazed, aluminum-framed patio doors installed (ie two layers or
single-glazed doors--4 leaves for an opening) many of which are probably
ripped out annually and replaced with insulating glass units and they
usually end up getting tossed. 2 openings-worth of discarded doors and a
half-dozen sticks and you've got your doorwell enclosure. A DIY project
that could be done quite easily some weekend).

The sidewall panels could be designed to be popped out for the non-snow
months if desired.

The enclosure provides shelter to keep rain and snow away from the entry
to the house and an airlock entry to boot.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom