[Greenbuilding] Green roof drainage question

Marilyn cybercrone at eol.ca
Sun Jul 24 08:09:22 CDT 2011

Dear Asian Man
with the same unusual family name as my not-a-drop-of-Chinese-blood  Grandparents:
(We can still pretend we're cousins and confuse everyone thoroughly - besides I like
having cousins)

That's an idea worthy of your usual creative thinking.  Where would be a good source
for doors?  Could I go to the city dump and get them, or ?

<(^o^)>
~marilyn

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 11:59:08 -0400, Marilyn <cybercrone at eol.ca> wrote:
>
> >  green roof put on the addition to my home,
>
> > ground level is only about 2 inches below the door sill where I go out
> > there.
>

> Dear Occidental Woman
> -with-not-a-drop-of-Chinese-blood-in-her-entire-family-who-mistakenly-thought-she-was-a-cousin-of-mine;
>
> I think that I'd look at creating a dam around the vicinity of the door
> (say minimum of 1 metre wide by 1.5 metres out from the wall) that is aout
> 20 cm higher than the maximum snow accumulations that would be experienced
> and enclose the "door well" with a light structure made of
> diverted-from-the-wastestream patio doors. (There are bazillions of 20-30
> year old tract homes and high-rise apts in the Greater Toronto Area which
> had single-glazed, aluminum-framed patio doors installed (ie two layers or
> single-glazed doors--4 leaves for an opening) many of which are probably
> ripped out annually and replaced with insulating glass units and they
> usually end up getting tossed. 2 openings-worth of discarded doors and a
> half-dozen sticks and you've got your doorwell enclosure. A DIY project
> that could be done quite easily some weekend).
>
> The sidewall panels could be designed to be popped out for the non-snow
> months if desired.
>
> The enclosure provides shelter to keep rain and snow away from the entry
> to the house and an airlock entry to boot.
>
> --
> === * ===
> Rob Tom
> Kanata, Ontario, Canada
> < A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  C A >
> (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit REPLY)

Cybercrone
http://www.eol.ca/~cybercrone
Hm-m-m-m . . .
A penny saved is a government oversight.