[Greenbuilding] Green roof drainage question

Marilyn cybercrone at eol.ca
Sun Jul 24 08:25:27 CDT 2011

Hi Chris:

Boy, another great idea.

I think one contractor did mention that, but for some reason we decided it was not
efficient, and I forget why.

Now, would I have to put tape all over the deck, and on the roof above to stop the snow
melt, or the deck and the eaves troughs on the roof, or . . . ?

thanks,
~m

> Marylin-
> How about a little squirt of heat with a small bit of electric heat tape? Gardeners around here use them (along with row covers) sometimes to warm up beds for earlier spring planting. You could set this up on a timer, a T-stat, or simply plug it in when needed.
> Uses some electricity, but pretty efficient and cost-effective in the big scheme of things.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_heating>
>

> Chris
> TimberGuides Design & Build
> Van Isle
>
> Marylin wrote
> ..:"Here's the problem, best as I can state it.
>

> When I had my green roof put on the addition to my home, the roof came
> higher than the place it would have been without due to necessary
> engineering, so the 'ground level' is only about 2 inches below the door
> sill where I go out there.
> For a couple of years in a row now we have had much snow and a giant fast
> thaw in February.
> What seems to be happening, best as I can figure out, is that the sun has
> sort of 'glazed' the surface of the ground due to the sun and cold so when
> the rapid thaw hits, the water cannot get to the normal drainage channels,
> and because the glazing has evened out the roof surface and counteracted the
> roof drainage slope, the water backs up through my door and causes mucho
> damage... "

Cybercrone
http://www.eol.ca/~cybercrone
Hm-m-m-m . . .