[Greenbuilding] Need opinions on siding and progress report

Marilyn cybercrone at eol.ca
Sun Jul 24 12:11:42 CDT 2011

Hi Bobbi:

Just a thought for if an dwhen you get around to doing the Hardiboard.

Be sure you seal the end cuts well, or the darn stuff swells like a bullfrog's throat
when it gets wet.

I had the front and back of my house done with it - I'm a row house - and the
carpenter didn't seal one of the end cuts on a window sill properly and it was awful.

Regards,
~marilyn

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks again to all of you who answered my questions about insulation
> in our new/old 1930 house.  We decided to wait until after the AC was
> installed (because of issues with installing the ductwork in the
> attic), and the house was leveled (happening now).  I am glad we
> waited because we've found that the house is a perfect example of
> balloon framing.  So we're rethinking everything we ever knew about
> insulation.  LOL.  In general, I'm caulking every crack I can find
> like there's no tomorrow, and trying not to think about the wide
> gaping holes in the floors where some walls were taken down.
> Hopefully, after all the construction is done, we plan to insulate
> from the bottom, then add the attic insulation. Then some in the
> walls, if we don't go broke before then.
>
> We did get two beautiful solar attic fans installed, and those help
> to keep the attic cooler.  We've had over 40 days of over 100-degree
> temps., so every little bit helps.  The new AC works like a charm,
> amazingly enough.  We keep it set high, and it still cools enough so
> that we can work inside.  I'm loving the new Carrier two-speed unit
> *so far* but wonder how it'll do at dehumidifying.  We shall see.
>
> So, to my question.  The house is encased in aluminum siding.  UGH.
> It still looks great, but I'd love to paint it.  Right now, it's
> stark white.  The original ship-lap wooden siding is underneath with
> peeling paint, but I have no way of knowing the condition of most of
> the original wood.  Since we've found no other signs of rot, mold,
> etc. I imagine it's in good shape.  There are overhangs and awnings
> over every window, deep porches, gutters, etc.
>
> Is there a "green" reason to leave the aluminum on there?  Does it
> reflect enough heat to make the trade-off worth it considering there
> are a million places we can't caulk?  I'd love to replace it all with
> Hardi-Plank, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.  The aluminum
> on the sides looks OK, but otherwise, it looks like hell--in good
> shape, but butt ugly.  So that's a consideration, too.
>
> Thanks!
>
> bobbi c.
> Leander and Taylor, TX
> http://www.twosisters1930cottage.blogspot.com/

Cybercrone
http://www.eol.ca/~cybercrone
Hm-m-m-m . . .
When buying and selling are controlled by legislation,
the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
 -- P J O'Rourke