[Greenbuilding] Greenbuilding Digest, Vol 11, Issue 13

Keith Winston keith at earthsunenergy.com
Mon Jul 25 11:33:49 CDT 2011

> From: "JOHN SALMEN" <terrain at shaw.ca>
>
> I don't know about this product but the science is pretty solid that
> turbulence affects changes in water - you only have to observe rocks in a

Turbulence could lead to increased oxygenation in an open system (like a
stream with rocks, and air above) but not in a closed pipe. That might lead
to increased biological activity, decreased biological oxygen demand
downstream, and maybe oxidization of some other elements in the water. But
none of that would happen in a closed system. Furthermore, the external
application of the "resonator" wouldn't increase turbulence.

seems up for discussion. Increased turbulence has been shown to both
> decrease and increase bacterial content in pipes - meaning there has been a
> lot of research and some of it is contradictory. Technology spins off a lot
> of products and the claims often hurt the technology - which in itself is
> not a scam.

Not quite sure what your last point is. There are certainly times that
people make inventions that don't do what they intended, but that they still
believe they do as intended. That's not technically a "scam", but when they
then carefully(ish) craft misleading "scientific" descriptions of how it
works and what it does, with no evidence that any of it is true, and sell
them with these descriptions, then it rises to the level of scam in my book.
Adding terms like "ionic resonator" and "harmonic frequency turbulator"
should merely challenge all of us to raise our bar of personal scientific
diligence.

> Water quality is an issue - I am worried about what will be determined
> about
> long term usage of polyethylene water distribution pipe. Not just an issue
> of chemicals from the piping so much as bacterial contamination that might
> become an issue.

Yeah, I think this is a good point. I was an early adopter of Pex and
Pex-Al-Pex piping, and now I only use them for hydronic heating systems,
when appropriate. I'm worried about the chemicals mostly, but your other
point is fair too. Some knowledgeable people argue that

Keith