[Greenbuilding] Counters

William R Bloom wbloom at unm.edu
Wed Jul 27 10:09:50 CDT 2011

I recently made my own concrete counters.  From what
research I can find on the production and materials, its a
reasonable alternative.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/concrete-countertops-chic-nontoxic.html

I made my molds from 3/4" melamine with the white slick
finish, 2" sides and upside down to what the finished
counter will be.  Ran a bead of silicone to the inside
corners and rounded it with my index finger to make a nice
radiused edge.  Created a plug for the sink area, rented a
nine bag capacity mixer and poured in one shot.   Used
reinforcing mesh throughout and rebar around the sink
opening.  After a day, flipped the mold over to be right
side up and removed the melamine boards.   I reused them
in my garage as shelving.  Deglaze with a mild acid wash
and seal with several coats of sealer and a final polish
with beeswax polish.  The surface is a smooth as granite,
more satin than high gloss.

Bill
Albuquerque