[Greenbuilding] Counters

Bobbi Chukran bobbi at bobbichukran.com
Wed Jul 27 10:28:52 CDT 2011

I've been watching this thread closely as I'm about to make a
decision about the counters in our new historic house.  I've been
looking at the Eco by Cosentino countertops because I can get the
local Lowe's to install them for us.  Plus, I like the sparkly glass
bits in them. :-)

http://usa.ecobycosentino.com/index.cfm

Thing is, I'm not sure where they're made.  The parent company
(Silestone) does have a TX plant, but I'm not sure what they actually
make there.  I don't really want to buy an imported material.

After a lot of thought and research, I'm probably going to go the
butcherblock route.  We have oak butcherblock counters in this
current house (bought at IKEA--yes, the wood was probably imported),
and we love them.  I can shine them up a bit and fill in small
scratches by using simple olive oil on them, and as John said, they
can be sanded and refinished.  We have a lot of painted wood in the
old house, so I'm trying to add in some naturals to balance it.

In a former house, we bought a slab of pine butcherblock from Home
Depot that we used on an island.  That thing just got more gorgeous
over the years.  It was indestructible.

bobbi c.
http://www.twosisters1930cottage.blogspot.com