[Greenbuilding] Counters

Kathy Cochran kathys_old_house at goldrush.com
Wed Jul 27 12:51:24 CDT 2011

Hi Lynelle,

I don't know what the configuration of your kitchen is, but if you have any
small areas to put counter on, like I have (on either side of my propane
stove) you might see if you have a source that can provide you with some
remnants of soapstone.  I was lucky to be able to get 2 pieces of it (20"
wide x 27" deep) edged all rounded, for about $250 (and I drove to
Sacramento to pick it up).  The nice part of it is that there is NO LABOR to
install it  -  you simply put a bead of construction-grade caulk around the
top of the cabinet, and set it down!  Hot pots can go on it, and you don't
have to seal it (like granite) with anything, but they gave me a tiny bottle
of mineral oil to use on it, which looks very nice, but it really isn't
necessary.  You can clean it with ANYTHING, they say!  It's also a terrific
surface for kneading bread and pasta dough.

My kitchen is a galley kitchen, the other side, the sink side, is Formica,
which I got forced into because I had a deadline of getting a "final
inspection" so I could go forward with a refinance.  But it's okay, too!
I'll send you some pictures, separately.

Just my 2 cents..........

Kathy Cochran
San Andreas, CA