[Greenbuilding] Redoing all floors

Andrew Pace andy at safebuildingsolutions.com
Wed Jul 27 15:29:42 CDT 2011

Jason... I¹ve been in the industrial coating biz since 1989, so etching to
me has always meant ³acid etching².  Any other type of surface prep would be
called something different....blasting, scrabbling, scarifying, etc.   Not
everyone uses the correct terminology, so mistakes can be made.   Too many
contractors who don¹t know how to prepare concrete have tried to acid etch a
slab that has a cure-n-seal on it, only to find that the acid doesn¹t work.
In your situation, the stripper worked because the paint, sealer and stain
are all topical.  However, If you tried to acid etch that surface without
stripping it first, it wouldn¹t do a thing.

Off topic...Those soy-based stains...I¹m still not convinced there is any
³green² benefit to them.  According to what I¹ve read, don¹t you have to
acid etch bare concrete before applying the stain?  So, if you are still
using an acid, why is the stain any more eco-friendly than using an acid
stain? Just curious.

Andy