[Greenbuilding] Redoing all floors

Andrew Pace andy at safebuildingsolutions.com
Wed Jul 27 17:49:24 CDT 2011

Maybe I missed something, but you said ³where the stain and sealer have
pulled up, there's plain white.²

Regarding etching... I was thinking that the concrete had a sealer on it
before you stained and coated it.  I misinterpreted your comments.  Between
the stain and the topcoat, usually nothing gets done to the surface, except
maybe a rinsing with water.  But, that would depend on what stain they used.
They should provide you with a tech data or MSDS for the products they used
upon your request.

Contact a local surface preparation company to determine if shot blasting
will work in your particular situation.  Shot blasting (or even water
blasting) would be less dusty, but the equipment may not fit in the
hallways.  Grinding is typically done for smaller, more confined areas and
requires more physical labor to accomplish.  In any event, it wont be a
picnic.

Andrew Pace
Green Design Center®
Waukesha, WI

On 7/27/11 5:34 PM, "Ktot (g)" <ktottotc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't imagine the dark stains that are peeling up are white based, but I'm
> no stain expert and (another problem) the contractor refuses to tell me the
> brand/name of stain used (other than it's water-based).
>
> What do you mean "the concrete was never acid etched before using the sealer"?
> I don't believe anything was done after staining before sealing other than
> waiting a few days. What is the etching that should have been done--how is it
> done, etc.? This could be useful in further documenting the problems (since
> ultimately the contractor IS going to be paying for my new floor, though
> probably not by their choice).
>
> Also can you explain more about shot blasting? You say it's more
> cost-effective, but how does it compare to grinding as far as time involved,
> how much it's going to totally mess up my house, etc.? No one's mentioned this
> yet but it sounds like something I should look into, especially since sealer
> removal will be required whether I go with more concrete staining or with tile
> (or something else I haven't yet considered). We're talking about 1500 sq. ft.
> in multiple rooms and hallways.

Safe Building Solutions
Healthy - Sustainable - Smart

PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER:

2201 Badger Ct
Waukesha, WI 53188
262.446-6702

http://www.thegreendesigncenter.com