[Greenbuilding] Redoing all floors

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Thu Jul 28 06:58:41 CDT 2011

First, let me say you have amazing resilience, given all you've gone
through.  It was hard enough living in my garage, and I had not gone
through the loss of a fire.

What I meant was that I wouldn't tile, carpet or lay wood.  I'd strip or
grind/polish with a new stain.  Your new concrete guy is a good one to
ask about which is best, given the condition of the floor and the
surface the floor has already had applied.  FWIW, we tried stuff in the
walk in closet first to see, before using the process in the "open"
areas.  If it were me, I'd try to grind and stain again, partially
because I like the finish I get with the grinding, but it is messy.
Also, there are many treatments that are meant to be applied over "old"
concrete, so make certain your contractor lays out all the options.

I didn't mean to sound like it took months.  The entire process for all
the redos took about 3 weeks. The area done was about 2200 sq feet,
(including a sun space).  It was mid winter, in Ontario Canada, so we
had to use electric heat and I was living in my garage.  It did seem
forever, but it wasn't. My floor had cured, so my experience with the
process may be different than yours.

I did find (as have visitors)  that the small cracks I have, when
noticed, contribute to the overall look of stone...rather like fissures.
We made the conscious decision to forego expansion joints and expected
some cracking.

When I was selecting the finish, my guy directed me to
http://www.concretenetwork.com  It's a great source of ideas and
information.

Hope this helps.

Lynelle