[Greenbuilding] Redoing all floors

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 28 09:33:18 CDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:56:11 -0400, Ktot (g) <ktottotc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Talking to various experts, at least 28 days should have been left
> between pour and cure.

Either you or the "various experts" are confused because the above
statement makes no sense.
A look at the strength vs time graph (example shown in link provided in
will quickly illustrate why.

There is no assurance that grinding down improperly cured concrete
(whether it be with carborundum stones or diamond stones) will yield a
better finished surface.

If the concrete was crappy concrete (ie compromised mix quality due to
addition of water at the site, followed by improper curing) to begin with,
grinding away the more dense surface layer (created as a result of the
troweling process) is only going to expose more poor quality concrete.

Then you'd still have to apply surface treatments in order to make the
concrete look and wear like something other than crappy concrete. And
since the wear layer would only be a very thin, chemical stew film, it's
likely need to be refinished again and again and again over the years.

Why bother with the time, trouble, mess , energy and expense ?

I'd cover it over with tile (preferably an unglazed, fully vitrified
porcelain or such-like) or stone (not a limestone or marble because
they're too soft).

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom