[Greenbuilding] 10 kW solar power plant production

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 28 10:32:41 CDT 2011

I thought y'all might be interested in seeing some production figures
[short version] that one of my neighbours sent along after our exchange on
shearing llamas wandered off into the ozone.

He took advantage of our province's MicroFIT program

      http://microfit.powerauthority.on.ca/

to install a 10 kW capacity, ground-mounted solar array a couple of
winter's ago .

His panels are attached to a 12 metre (40 ft) long horizontal pipe
oriented with it's long axis running North-South, suspended about 3 metres
(10 ft) off of the ground.

The pipe rotates to follow the arc of the sun over the course of the day.

This setup is interesting because it outproduces (by as much as 40% on a
day-to-day basis in winter) an identical-sized, conventionally-oriented
(ie rectangular array whose long dimension runs East-West) fixed array
just a few kilometres away.

The Enphase site (in the link below) provides real-time output figures of
the latter as well as daily, monthly, annual etc.

I had wanted to ask members of this List if they might have some
suggestions for gizmos which would enable my neighbour to monitor the
output from his array (and maybe feed it to a spreadsheet program which
could ultimately plot it in nice multi-coloured graphs) from the comfort
of his house on his laptop, but the notion slipped my geezer mind,
repeatedly.