[Greenbuilding] renewing a cast iron tub

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 29 09:15:31 CDT 2011

Film thickness is good - about double what would be on an enamelled (glass
powder) steel object (baking pan type thing).  The hardness test I always
thought was pretty cute as it refers to pencil hardness - the hardness of a
pencil that would create a mark and goes up to 9H. 4H is equivalent to an
acrylic tub coating and probably most gelcoat fibreglass.  Basically powder
coating is a paint (polyester and or acrylic resins). It is just applied as
a powder and uses heat instead of solvents.  The 'paint' film with powder
coat is stronger because it hasn't been broken or weakened with solvent
holes - does that make sense? Since it is a form of painting the skill of
the applicator and how good the shop equipt is becomes important - ask if
you can increase the film thickness as that is a good indication of what
they can do (typical powder coating is 2-3mil)

Impact is blow that would break the film (but typically you have to crush
the substrate and this is cast iron) - salt spray test is corrosion and
1000hrs is pretty high for a marine standard but basically meaningless as
the tub won't corrode unless the finish gets totally worn away from
obsessive cleaning or scratched or broken.

So I think you could say that the finish would be roughly equivalent to a
fibreglass or acryic tub - not as thick probably but having a cast iron base
compensates.

Care would be equivalent to an acrylic or gel coated tub - no abrasive
cleansers and waxing/buffing the top and sides is not a bad idea.