[Greenbuilding] Solar microFIT installations

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Sat Jul 30 08:57:35 CDT 2011

/Just for reference: normally on single-axis tracking collector systems,
the axis is E-W, not N-S. Are you CERTAIN it's N-S? Also, single-axis is
generally good for more like 20% performance improvement, not 30-40%.
But at those far north latitudes it may be that my rules of thumb suck
(terrible pun on thumb-sucking, for those who missed it).

K/
I agree with Derek and Kieth that these trackers, at best, will improve
productivity, by (perhaps) 30%.  However, for a gambling man, this means
their added initial cost will pay off the installation costs about as
quick or quicker than the fixed mounts.  The carrot to this is that
after the installation is paid off, the daily production is greater and
thus the owner's income per month is also greater.

Yes, I've seen quite a few of these North-Southhorizontal pole mount
trackers.  They've become quite common trackers in the Ottawa Valley,
Ontario. Talking to an installer/purveyor of these devices from
Pembroke, and he says they cost 50% less than a Dager tracker, which
seems to be the other common microFIT tracker in this rural area.

The Dager tracker is a single pole mount, holding 10kw, mounted on a
monstrous concrete base, and the actuators are two axis tracking, thus
keeping the PV's at 90 degrees to the sun shine from early AM to late
PM. They are definitely the most productive of the tracking devices,
compared to the North-South horizontal pipe mounted thingies.

My wife and I have built and installed our own microFIT, using eight
steel poles, no tracker. These mounts can be adjusted seasonally, to
optimize production but definitely have a production curve that begins
low in the morning, goes to full production mid-day and drops off in
afternoon.
What we've done is mount 13,000 watts of PV's, to sell 10,000
watts/hours.  As Derek has talked about, we've spent our money on more
fixed mounted PV's, to get a greater daily yield, without the
difficulties of maintenance of a tracking device.

Two Reasons being:  I've seen one of these North-South horizontal pole
mounts tipped to the East, and stuck there, for a full month, because
the installer was too busy installing more of them to come back and fix
the broken one.  This was a turn-off.

And secondly, a Dager tracker holds 10Kw on one pole. That is One Huge
Sail.  The one I'm aware of in Southern Ontario was blown over in a huge
wind, and I'm told it wasn't a pretty site. (PV's contain very large
sheets of glass.) Yes, they broke.  And how did they re-erect that huge
tracker?

I like the simplicity of a fixed mount, where I can go out four times a
year, with a pair of wrenches, and manually adjust my mounts.  It adds ,
maybe, eight total hours of labour per year. I can do that.

Frank

Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design
www.livingsol.com