[Greenbuilding] PV tracking...

Gordon Howell -- Howell Mayhew Engineering ghowell at hme.ca
Sat Jul 30 23:49:51 CDT 2011

It appears that typically no solar PV tracking system is economically
worthwhile.  This arises because you can install additional
fixed-tilt solar PV modules to equal the same amount of annual energy
as the tracking system provides, yet the additional modules cost less
than the tracking system's costs.

This has been apparent for several years, and with the significant
drop in PV module pricing the difference is even greater today.

There may be applications where a single-axis tracker is indeed
worthwhile, if it is designed and constructed in a very simple
manner, such as in an off-grid system.

I'd be interested in readers' comments on their own experience.

+Gordon Howell
Edmonton

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:57:35 -0400