[Greenbuilding] food choices

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 31 13:20:45 CDT 2011

I would agree – carbon footprint is about how food is produced and can vary
dramatically depending how it is produced, harvested and marketed. Locally
raised beef on native grassland I am sure would have less end harm than
mono-cropped machine harvested lentils 1000’s of miles away.

The single biggest concern for food production is really soil and nutrient
loss and Wes Jackson of the land institute  long ago asserted that
traditional grazing of cattle on perennial grassland resulted in less soil
loss than the best of amish farming practices.

For food to continue I think we have no choice but to support local
food/farming initiatives and rather than demanding what type of food we want
we need to consume what is available locally and for most farms that would
include livestock of some sort or other.  For example the use of a biodiesel
tractor or draft horses consumes roughly ¼ of a farms cropland. The tractor
however is dependent on a successful fuel crop where the horse has a more
varied diet and returns unutilized carbon to the soil as manure rather than
exhaust.  A tractor may be more efficient but that efficiency doesn’t
translate into more food production as there is a relationship between its
efficiency and the cropland it consumes.

Making a farm work is a complex task and if we (as consumers) simply demand
lentils then a farmer will be forced to crop from land (sloped or prone to
runoff) that is more suitable for grazing (if we are looking at conserving
soil) and the end result is the destruction of the soil base. If we support
local farms then we have to support and encourage diversity.

John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

station design & millwork

4465 UPHILL RD DUNCAN BC V9L6M7 250-748-7672 C 250-246-8541 F 250-748-7612