[Greenbuilding] Greenbuilding Digest, Vol 11, Issue 20

Keith Winston keith at earthsunenergy.com
Sun Jul 31 16:34:03 CDT 2011

From: RT <Archilogic at yahoo.ca>

> I would venture if one were to think about Keith's statement, (horizontal
> pipe oriented with long axis oriented East-West) his question would answer
> itself.

As mentioned in my response to Reuben's post the other day, the panels
> are attached to spars (4 panels per spar, not two as I had mentioned
> earlier in my response to Reuben's message) mounted perpendicular to the
> long axis of the pipe.

Alas, I read this list in gmail and digest. On the day of this post there
were so many posts that some got cut off and, as far as I can tell, thrown
away by gmail (actually, I think it's the Greenbuilding listserve). So I
couldn't see the original posting, and was going by the abbreviated
description others' proffered. And I also mis-spoke, a single-axis tracker
is typically a N-S axis (see the exception below). However, your description
(below) of E-W tracking is incorrect: it doesn't sweep across, like N-S
tracking, but rather rises and falls back to  the same position, depending
on time of year. That's what happens, if you think about it, on the second
axis of a 2-axis tracker. And in fact, a sweep would keep a 2-axis tracker
from working. The point in both cases is tracking, after all.

When I look at the solar radiation redbook data for MD (
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/pubs/redbook/), I see yearly totals for fixed
and single (with lattitude tilt), and two-axis tracking of 4.6, 5.9, and 6.0
kWh/m^2/d. That is an increase of 28% for single axis and 30% for two-axis.
Modules don't do as well with oblique light, which makes me wonder that
there isn't a bigger difference between the 1 & 2 axis tracking. But I'm
still surprised at the 44% you quote. An interesting experiment would be to
select a few sunny days in a row, and alternately track and fix the system
in the middle of it's range on alternate days. That  would give fully
comparable numbers: same system, same location, same tilt, same time of
year, with enough repetitions to confirm results. Now that's science.
Comparing different systems, especially (if I  understood you) one utilizes
microinverters and the other a central inverter system (and perhaps
different PV modules?), might be hard to control for error.

If the long pipe were in fact oriented East-West and if the panels were
> laid flat (ie no seasonal tilt), in the morning the panels would be aimed
> at the Southern horizon. Then as the pipe rotates, after a ~90 degree
> rotation, the panels would be aimed straight up, perpendicular to the
> Earth and then after a further 90 degree rotation of the pipe, aimed at
> the Northern horizon... which of course, makes no sense.
>
> WRT Keith's comment about Kanata being at "those far north latitudes" ...
> my and my neighbour's (rural) Kanata location is at ~ 48.38 degrees North
> Latitude, practically within (but not quite)the Banana Belt of Canada,
> hardly the "Far North".  "North of 60" is probably what most MooseHuggers
> would consider "Far North".

Yes, Canadians might have different definitions of North from 'Murricans,
even though much of Canada is South of significant fractions of the US. But
in any case, I didn't say Canada was at "far north latitudes": I simply said
that some of the rules shift as you get to far north latitudes: I didn't
even mention Canada there.

In case it interests anyone: tracking trough solar thermal collectors, which
have a parabolic mirrored surface reflecting up to a solar thermal collector
(a pipe of liquid typically), when aligned on an E-W axis, can be tracked
seasonally instead of daily, with the trough essentially functioning as a
N-S-axis tracker. Some loss in efficiency but gain in simplicity. I've seen
a similar design for tracking concentrating PV.

Keith